Sunday, January 9, 2011

Tanya visits Dora, January 2011

This post is written by Fisher Picture guest blogger, Dora.

The Fishers have a large, close extended family. I feel so lucky to know and be close with so many of us- Fishers, Cohens, Weinbergers, Fong-Cohens, Luxenburgs, now even some Amiras (venturing into 3rd cousin territory)!

This weekend, second cousin Tanya came to visit me in Chicago. Many of my friends say to me, "what does it mean to be second cousins?". So let this post explain how we are related.

We share great grandparents, Mollie and Isaac Cohen.



Our grandmothers are sisters, Rae Luxenburg and Sue Fisher, both pictured here on the left in this whimsical picture (on the right is Marci, Tanya's aunt and my dad's first cousin)



Our fathers are first cousins, Josh and Verne.

Verne with his aunt, my grandmother, Sue, in 1996.



I'm pictured here with Tanya's grandmother, my great aunt Rae, at my grandparents 50th anniversary 15 years ago:



Tanya, with her mother Susie and grandmother Rae (my great aunt), as a baby:



All this makes us second cousins!

Photo taken 5 minutes ago at a cafe in Chicago:



So fun to have you here, Tanya, and may our families continue to be close for generations to come.

2 comments:

  1. This is fantastic.

    Thanks for sharing. I wish I had the photo resources to go along with my own explorations into my family's genealogy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Osvaldo! I really appreciate you following my family's blog. Something I like about having Tanya here is she cares just as much as I do about our family's rich history.

    My grandpa, born in 1929 (I think?), was really into photography back when it was this obscure thing, before everyday people had cameras. He ended up an engineer at Kodak for decades. My father has childhood memories of being in the darkroom with his father. As a result, he has thousands and thousands of photos from this time in their lives. I do feel very fortunate to have this.

    ReplyDelete